Monday, August 30, 2010

Perspective

I took up a job at this writing troupe thing where the people do freelance writing for various clients. A few nights ago one of the co-heads of this writing troupe decided he needed to impart some food for thought through the Internet. He tried to call, but I refused, because I like the barrier set by the Internet. We communicate through written words, nothing more, nothing less.

He asked me how long I usually take to write a composition. I told him it takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours, and these are articles that comprise of my thoughts.

He told me it takes him 15 to 20 minutes to come up with his articles. These articles are not unlike the articles you see in about.com or on wikihow.com. Simply put, these are articles with minimal research and no sentimental value. Oh, and I need to write at least 500 words.

I was thinking of telling him a few things about me but I thought it would be unwise, so I'd lay them down here.

One, I live in a world where an attention span of five minutes is considered a feat. Two, I was trained to convey my thoughts with the fewest number of words. Sentences are shorter, and beating around the bush is boring. Occasionally I can write over 500 words, but usually they fall short. Which kind of sucks.

I just needed that out of my system, thanks. I shouldn't be interrupted whenever I write because I lose track of what I'm supposed to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment